The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
- UN Environmental
Prize and Benefits:
In 2018, seven Young Champions of the Earth will be selected from each global region: one from each of Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, North America and West Asia; and two from Asia and the Pacific.
Each winner will receive the following:
- US$15,000 in seed funding;
- Attendance at a high-level UN meeting;
- An introduction to dignitaries at the Champions of the Earth Award Ceremony;
- Publicity and recognition through online and global media;
- Access to a community of Covestro experts offering insights and mentoring; and
- Participation in an entrepreneurial training program provided by The DO School.
The 2018 Young Champions will be required to share their implementation journeys through blogs and vlogs posted on this website for a period of up to one year.
Also Read: European Commission Media Prize
- Open to individuals from Africa; Asia and the Pacific; Europe; Latin America and the Caribbean; North America; and West Asia
- To be eligible to enter the 2018 Young Champions of the Earth competition (hereafter referred to as “the Competition”), applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 30 on 31 December 2018.
- Application should have outstanding potential to create positive environmental impact
- Each applicant must have at least 6 months of prior experience working on their environmental project.
How to Apply:
You can submit your application between 27 February and 2 April 2018 via the application portal on this website. You will need to identify a referee who can vouch for the viability of your idea and for you as an individual. Once you submit your application, no further edits or changes will be possible.
In the first stage of the selection process, all applications will be judged by United Nations experts according to the following criteria:
- The 3 Ps – The positive impact your big idea could have on the environment (planet) and society (people), and its financial viability (prosperity).
- The 3 Cs – Evidence that you are a curious, courageous, and colourful individual.
- Demonstrated commitment – It is important that you have already attempted to implement your big idea for at least 6 months and can outline achievements and/or developments to date.
- Endorsement – The strength of your referee’s recommendation.
The deadline of the UN Young Champions of the Earth 2018 is:
- 2nd April 2018