Islamic Development Bank Merit Scholarship Programme is now accepting applications for the academic year 2018-19. The Programme was launched in 1413H (1992), named ‘The IDB Merit Scholarship Programme for High Technology’ (MSP).
The objective of the Islamic Development Bank Merit Scholarship Programme is to develop technically qualified human resources in the IDB member countries by providing scholarships to promising and outstanding scholars and researchers to pursue a full-time Ph.D. study and/or Post-doctoral research in most development-related fields.
The concept is to assist the IDB member countries and their institutions in developing high quality human resources to pioneer innovative solutions to address the most crucial areas that they are lacking but crucial for their development in line with the IDB Vision 1440H, IDB 10-Year Strategic Plan, President’s 5-Year Programme and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Islamic Development Bank
Place of Study:
- For both PhD and Post-doctoral research, successful candidates must secure admission at one of the reputable renowned institutions of study in advanced countries as well as in IsDB Member Countries.
- Priority shall be given to Ph.D. applicants who have secured admission at universities that have concluded a cooperation agreement with the IsDB such as, University of Cambridge, University of Birmingham, Queen Mary University of London, Imperial College London, and University College London in the United Kingdom, Copenhagen University in Denmark, Princeton University in USA, KAUST in Saudi Arabia and McGill University in Canada.
- PhD Programmes
- Post-Doctoral Programmes
Fields of Study:
The Scholarship Programme is designed to help promising professionals and researchers from IDB Member Countries to pursue a full-time Ph.D. study and/or Post-doctoral research in development-related fields such as:
|Sustainable Agriculture:||Food Security, Resilient Crops, Post harvest Technologies|
|Education||Quality of Teaching , Pupil/Teacher Ratio , High Level Training|
|Education for Sustainable Development||Integration of Sustainability-related issues into national curricula and teaching syllabus documents|
|Climate Change||Strategies for Reductions of CO2 Emissions, and Climate Mitigation and Carbon Sequestration Methods|
|Energy||Renewable Energy and Green Technologies, Solar Potential and Hydrogen, Fuel Cells, Biogas and Biodiesel|
|Sustainable Cities||Insulation Technologies, Transportation and Urban Planning|
|Responsible Growth||Reduction of Waste, Serving Communities, Ethics of Growth|
|Waste Management||Recycling, Carbon Footprint Reduction, Waste to Energy Technologies|
|Population Growth||Urban Sprawl, Density and Epidemics, and Overshoot|
|Green Chemistry||Alternative Technologies, Cutting-edge Research, and Limitation of Pollution|
|Biodiversity||Loss of Biodiversity, Ecosystem Services, Mass Extinction, and Agrobiodiversity|
|Plastic pollution and Micro-plastics||Plastic Incorporation into the Food Chain, Biodegradable Plastics, and Recycling Possibilities.|
|Water and Hygiene||Water Purity and Availability, Sanitation and Quality.|
|Health||Medicine, Pharmacy and Nutrition, etc.|
|ICT for Development||Computer Science, Laser and Fiber Optics, Telecommunication, and Electronic|
|Innovation & Infrastructure Development||Build Resilient Infrastructure, Innovation and Industrial Development, Technological Infrastructure and Product Innovation.|
|Islamic Economics, Finance and Banking||Mode & Services of Islamic Banking and Finance , Sharia Standards for IFIs, Islamic Insurance & Takaful, Islamic Capital Market, Sharia & Operational Aspects of Sukuk, Islamic Micro-Finance, Zakat Management, Awqaf & Zakat Management|
|Development-related Social Sciences||International economics, Journalism, Law, IP, Political Sciences, Entrepreneurships, etc|
The scholarship covers the following benefits and entitlements: The scholarship comprises all:
- Academic expenses
- Living allowances on single-status basis
- Health insurance
- Round trip air-ticket to and from place of study
- Conference participation allowance and publication preparation allowance
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must meet the following basic criteria:
- Age not over (a) 35 years for Ph.D. study, and (b) 40 years for Post-Doctoral research;
- Attached to a research/academic/development institution in science and technology in their respective country;
- Must possess the required academic background in the related field of his/her proposed study/research and has some professional/research experience in the respective field;
- Demonstrate that his/her research proposal has development relevance to the country/institution with the objective of meeting the priority development needs of the country;
- Have good command of the language of the institution of study and the ability to conduct scientific work in it; and
- His /her application is nominated by his/her institution and the concerned section of the application form is signed, stamped by the Head of the institution and submitted to the IDB through the Office of IDB Governor for the country.
All the applications submitted to the IDB Governor’s Office are to go through the following process:
- Screening by the IsDB Governor’s Office to forward to IDB the most eligible applications;
- In-house review at the IsDB;
- Technical evaluation of eligible applications by a panel of external reviewers composed of scientists and experts in their fields.
- Final selection by the IsDB.
How to Apply:
Eligible applicants are required to complete the application form, available online in the website
The applications must be submitted through the nominating institutions to the Office of the IsDB Governor for the country. It is the Office of the IsDB Governor that will forward the applications to IsDB and not the individual applicants or the nominating institutions. As for Egypt, applications should be forwarded through the Higher Universities Council, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, instead of Office of the IsDB Governor.OFFICIAL LINK