Commonwealth Rutherford Fellowships are for highly skilled researchers from other Commonwealth countries to spend one or two years at an eligible UK university or higher education institution conducting postdoctoral research.
These fellowships are funded by the UK Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) through the Rutherford Fund, with the aim of attracting global talent and supporting the UK’s research base. Up to 50 fellowships are available.
To support world-class research and innovation, and to contribute to the UK’s research base by attracting high-caliber international candidates and encouraging links and collaboration
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed will not usually be reimbursed)
- Research support grant of £2,500 per annum
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,627 per month, or £2,019 per month for those at universities in the
London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2017-2018 levels)
- Study travel grant of £1,000 per award towards the costs of approved travel within the UK or overseas
To apply for these fellowships, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by a Commonwealth country other than the United Kingdom, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in a Commonwealth country other than the UK, and not based in the UK at the time of application
- Be available to start your fellowship in the UK before 31 March 2018
- Have been awarded your PhD no more than ten years prior to 1 November 2017
- Not have previously held a Commonwealth Scholarship or Fellowship awarded by the CSC
You may apply for support for postdoctoral research for one or two years.
The CSC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination, and encourages applications from a diverse range of candidates. For further information on the support available to candidates with a disability, see the CSC disability support statement.
The CSC is also committed to administering and managing its scholarships and fellowships in a fair and transparent manner – for more information, see the CSC anti-fraud policy.
Eligible Regions: Open for all
Application Deadline: December 11, 2017