Asia Leadership Fellow Program (ALFP) was launched by the International House of Japan in 1996. The ALFP seeks to create a close, personal and professional network of public intellectuals in Asia, deeply rooted in and committed to civil society beyond their own cultural, disciplinary and geopolitical backgrounds.
Asia Leadership Fellow Program 2018:
The Program will provide each fellow with the following:
- Travel cost to and from Tokyo and the city where the fellow is based
- A daily allowance (to cover accommodations, meals and other incidentals)
- Medical insurance during the Program in Japan
- Other costs related to group activities set by the Program
- Designated Application Form (pp. 6-7), completed, dated and signed
- Personal Statement (500-1000 words)
- Two Recommendation Letters
- Two samples of your recent written works in English, less than 10 pages in length (short essays, newspaper articles, etc.).
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR ALFP?
- The ALFP is open to citizens of Northeast-, Southeast- and South-Asian countries and regions, aged 35 to 59, inclusive.
- Applicants must have a good command of English to engage in deep and substantial discussions in English.
- Applicants need to have a solid background in their own professions and have access to a wide audience in their country or region through publications, teaching, media, performance, etc. to disseminate their thoughts and findings. There is no prescribed set of professions for an ALFP fellow; the professions of past fellows include, but are not limited to, academia, journalism, business, national and local politics, education, administration, the arts, publications, and NGO and non-profit activities.
Citizens of Northeast, Southeast and South Asian countries and regions, aged 35 to 59, inclusive.
(The countries and regions that are applicable include Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Republic of Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam.)
How to Apply: All the application documents have to be original and sent by post.
c/o Program Department
International House of Japan
5-11-16 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0032, Japan
Tel: +81-3-3470-3211 Fax: +81-3-3470-3170
Application deadline: December 13, 2017
January to March, 2018
Stage 1: Screening of application materials
Stage 2: Interviewing of applicants (for those who passed stage 1)
Notice of selections: April 2018
Scholarship official website.