Applications are invited for Shanghai Government Scholarship (SGS) from International Students. It was setup by he Shanghai Municipal Education Commission in 2005. It offers funds to prospective international students applying for degree programs at universities in Shanghai.
Shanghai is one of the world best global financial center and a world cosmopolitan city, and this is one of the major reasons for international students to choose it as their preferred destination for study. The students will get a chance a chance to experience uniqueness, culture, and history, where western civilization meets traditional Chinese culture.
- There are thirty four (34) universities which are accepting international students under Shanghai Government Scholarship (SGS).
- Shanghai Government
- Undergraduate Program
- Graduate Program
- Two-three years for graduate program
- Three years for doctoral students
- Four years for undergraduate program
- Five years for undergraduate program in medicine studies
Fields of Study:
Catalog of Degree Programs 2018.
SGS Class A (Full Scholarship)
- Class A offers funds only to prospective students applying for graduate programs. It includes exemption from tuition and accommodation fees; comprehensive medical insurance; monthly living expenses of RMB 3000 for master’s candidates and RMB 3500 for doctoral candidates.
SGS Class B (Partial Scholarship)
- Class B offers funds to prospective students applying for any degree programs. It includes the exemption from tuition fees; comprehensive medical insurance.
I. Age and Education Background:
- For the Undergraduate Programs
- Student must have high school degree or above
- Age Limit: 25 Years
- For the graduate programs
- Students must have bachelor degree or above
- Age Limit: 35 Years
- For the doctoral Programs (PhD)
- Students must have a master degree or above with academic research ability
- Age Limit: 40 Years
- For the pre-college program
- Students must have a high school degree
- Age Limit: 23 Years
- And with a letter of pre-admission of undergraduate program by a Shanghai university.
- Applicants must have excellent grades, outstanding academic and overall performance;
- Applicants must not be currently receiving any other kinds of Chinese scholarships
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health.
II. Language Proficiency:
- Generally, applicants should achieve a Chinese level of HSK4 and meet the language requirement of the university applied to join.
III. Students that have won the Chinese Government Scholarship or any scholarship offered by other organizations are not entitled to apply SGS.
- Application Form : SGS Application Form for International Students (see attachment);
- Degree certificate( for master and doctoral degree program applicants), diploma or official proof of expected graduation (the diploma or certificate must be in Chinese or English with official school stamps or a notarized version in Chinese or English);
- Relevant transcripts (transcripts must be in Chinese or English with official school stamps or a notarized version in Chinese or English);
- language certificate:
- Chinese-taught program: Applicants should hold New HSK 4 or old HSK 5 certificate. (If applicant’s official language is Chinese or their last program was taught in Chinese, this is not required);
- English-taught program: Applicants should hold TOEFL 80 or IELTS 6.0 or above certificate (If applicant’s official language is English or their last program was taught in English, this is not required);
- Passport and passport-sized photo;
- Medical examination report.
Master’s and doctoral candidates should also include:
- Two recommendation letters from professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English);
- Statement of purpose – Around 1000 words for master’s degree candidates; around 1500 words for doctoral candidates. Topics to cover: study and work experience, academic research results, planned research proposals and personal development objectives after graduation;
- Catalog and abstracts of published papers, as well as other documents that can prove academic ability.
Click here for the application procedure.
- April 30, 2018